Gatlinburg, Tennessee, is a charming mountain town known for its breathtaking beauty year-round. However, if you’re looking for an especially enchanting time to visit, then fall is the perfect season. The foliage transforms into a riot of reds, oranges, and yellows, making it a must-visit destination for leaf-peepers and outdoor enthusiasts alike. In our fall guide to Gatlinburg, we’ll take you through the best things to see and do during the fall season, including the distance to River Edge Inn for each activity.
When to Visit for the Best Leaf Colors:
The leaves in Gatlinburg typically start changing colors in mid-October, reaching their peak during the last two weeks of the month. To experience the most vibrant fall foliage, plan your visit accordingly. However, keep in mind that this is a popular time to visit, so make reservations in advance, especially if you plan to stay at the River Edge Inn.
Sightseeing in Gatlinburg:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Gatlinburg is your gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains and fall is an ideal time to explore the park’s numerous hiking trails. Clingmans Dome (22 miles) and Cades Cove (32 miles) offer some of the most stunning fall vistas. Both are roughly an hour’s drive from River Edge Inn.
- Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail: This 5.5-mile loop road is famous for its cascading streams, old-growth forest, and vibrant foliage. It’s just a 10-minute drive from River Edge Inn. (1 mile)
- Gatlinburg SkyLift Park: Experience a bird’s-eye view of the fall colors as you ride the SkyLift to the SkyBridge. The SkyLift Park is only a 5-minute walk from the River Edge Inn. (0.3 mile)
- Gatlinburg Space Needle: Get a 360-degree view of the fall foliage from the top of the Gatlinburg Space Needle, located a short 5-minute walk from the River Edge Inn. (0.4 mile) Click here to view the live webcam from the top of the Space Needle.
Things to Do in Gatlinburg:
- Anakeesta Adventure Park: Experience Anakeesta, an outdoor adventure park with treetop bridges, zip lines, and stunning vistas of the Smoky Mountains. Take the Chondola or Ridge Rambler for an elevated ride, experiencing the fall colors from new heights. The fall foliage adds an extra layer of beauty to this already captivating attraction. Anakeesta is conveniently located within walking distance of River Edge Inn. (0.7 mile)
- Ober Gatlinburg: Take the Aerial Tramway from downtown Gatlinburg to Ober Gatlinburg. Here you can enjoy panoramic views of the autumn landscape. Once you reach the top, you will find fun things to do such as riding the Alpine Slide, Ice Bumper Cars, and can partake in the annual Fall Festival. This festival features seasonal activities like pumpkin carving, live music, and a hay maze. This adventure is just a short walk from River Edge Inn. (0.1 mile)
- Art and Crafts Community: Explore the eight-mile loop of local galleries and studios showcasing handcrafted art, pottery, and more. It’s about a 15-minute drive from the inn. (5 miles)
Seasonal Food and Drinks:
- Apple Cider Donuts: Sample these mouthwatering treats at the Apple Barn Cider Mill and General Store, located in Sevierville, about 35 minutes from River Edge Inn. (14.5 miles)
- Pumpkin Spice Everything: Fall isn’t complete without indulging in pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin-flavored treats. Find them at various cafes and bakeries throughout Gatlinburg such as PSLs at The Village Café and Creamery (0.6 mile).
- Local Breweries: Gatlinburg boasts some fantastic breweries. Try seasonal craft beers and cider at Gatlinburg Brewing Company (0.8 miles) and Smoky Mountain Brewery (0.3miles) while listening to live music on select nights.
River Edge Inn – Your Cozy Retreat:
Nestled in the heart of Gatlinburg, River Edge Inn offers comfortable accommodations and easy access to all the fall activities. With its river adjacent location and proximity to downtown attractions, it’s the perfect base for your autumnal adventure.
Fall in Gatlinburg is a mesmerizing experience that should be on every traveler’s bucket list. From the colorful foliage to the delightful seasonal treats and the exciting adventures at Anakeesta, Gatlinburg offers a captivating fall getaway. So, pack your bags and head to this charming mountain town for an unforgettable autumn escape!
Save 25% off any two or more nights
Restrictions apply. Save 25% on your stay when you reserve directly with River Edge Inn with our Fall Direct Discount, with NO BLACKOUT dates. Discount cannot be combined with any other promotions or offers. Valid for stays September 20, 2023 through November 22, 2023. Two Night Minimum required to receive a discount. NO BLACKOUT dates when you book directly!